The Spy obtains information for the above chart between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Statewide data is updated about 10 a.m. each day. Johns Hopkins updates its data throughout the day.
Key points for today
• The Maryland State Board of Education approved an in-school mask mandate for all public schools statewide. The emergency regulation must be approved by a state legislative committee; it will be in effect for 180 days if approved.
• The level of community transmission of COVID-19 is high for Maryland and high across the Eastern Shore. Health officials urge everyone, including those who are fully vaccinated, to wear masks while indoors.
• Kent County’s 7-day average positivity rate is 3.57% and its case rate is 10.30 cases per 100,000 population.
• The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Maryland is now at 492,547, an increase of 1,373 in the last 24 hours.
• In the last 24 hours, seven people died as a result of COVID-19, bringing the state’s total to 9,748.
• The state’s average positivity rate is 4.92%, up 0.03% from yesterday.
• The number of patients currently hospitalized is 711, down 9 from yesterday.
Write a Letter to the Editor on this Article
We encourage readers to offer their point of view on this article by submitting the following form. Editing is sometimes necessary and is done at the discretion of the editorial staff.