For more than 25 years, the non-profit TED has brought together the world’s thinkers and do-ers at annual conferences to present ‘the talk of their lives” in 18 minutes or less. The results are inspiring, entertaining, and sometimes just jaw-dropping.
Now, the conversation is coming to the Eastern Shore, with TEDxChesterRiver.
Saturday afternoon, June 30, at Washington College in Chestertown, Maryland, twelve live presenters from our area will step up on the TEDx stage to present their “Ideas Worth Sharing.”
Scheduled speakers include: (not in order of appearance)
· Paul Reed Smith, master guitarist and founder of PRS Guitars
· Wayne Gilchrest, environmentalist and former U.S. congressman.
· Gabrielle Tayac, historian, Smithsonian’s National Museum of the American Indian.
· Bryan Matthews, Director of Athletics, Washington College
· Carol Christian, scientist/astronomer, Space Telescope Science Institute.
· Kwame Shaka Opare, Performer/Instructor, University of Maryland College Park
· Corey Olsen, “The Tolkien Professor,” Washington College
· John Shields, chef, author, advocate for sustainable Chesapeake cuisine
· Jen Friedman, actress/comedienne, ARC associate
· Joe Fino, technologist at CHIEF, and zombie enthusiast
· Meg Daley Olmert, Warrior-Canine Connection, human/animal bond author, expert
· Matt Rutherford, sailor/adventurer, and circumnavigator of the Americas.
Speakers’ live TEDx talks will be accompanied by selected recorded TED talks for a full afternoon of “brain food” covering a wide range of subjects — all fostering learning, inspiration, and provoking conversations that matter. More about each presenter’s talks can be found at TEDxChesterRiver.com/speakers.
The theme for the inaugural TEDxChesterRiver is “Where We Belong” — exploring where we belong in our universe, among the species or in our environment. Other talks address how to belong better in our world, or even in other worlds.
With TEDxChesterRiver, Maryland’s Eastern Shore joins a global community of TED and TEDx events. “TEDx events like ours are independently organized events licensed by TED, following in the TED tradition of ‘riveting talks by remarkable people’,” says the event’s organizer, Elise Kolaja. “My goal for TEDxChesterRiver is to become a way for our entire community to come together for exciting ideas and a great afternoon.”
Registration for the event is $30 per person. The price includes a beverage break and a happy hour reception. Registration will only be available through Thursday, June 28. To register, visit the TEDxChesterRiver.com website, and for exciting past TED talks, visit TED.com.
Saturday, June 30
1 to 6:30 p.m. Gibson Center for the Arts
Washington College, Chestertown, MD 21620
To register: TEDxChesterRiver.com