There is little doubt that businessman Colin Stam wanted to make a statement when he contracted to have Stam Hall built in 1886 at the corner of Lawyers Row and High Street. As local architect Peter Newlin noted in a recent Spy essay, Stam clearly had “aspirations” for his building, which was to house the family pharmacy, paint store, as well as Chestertown’s first Town Hall. He succeeded in creating a town icon.
In the 1920s, the building transitioned into the Lyceum Theatre, where the Masons, whose ceremonial hall still exists, gathered and where minstrel shows and later movies were shown. Owner Matt Hogans only recently decided to rent out the one apartment in the building, while he continues to sort out different plans on how best to bring the Lyceum back to life. In the meantime, he was kind enough to share with Spy photographer Chris Metzloff the building as it stands now.